ScotRail has announced that an £8million redevelopment of Aberdeen station is set to begin later this year.
he project will see significant changes to the look and feel of the station, which has sat in the heart of Aberdeen city centre for more than 150 years.
Morrison Construction will deliver the work which will enhance facilities for customers and staff at the station. Once complete the project will deliver:
- Significant enhancement of the quality and variety of station retail facilities.
- Improvements to the taxi rank area and enhanced cycle parking.
- Relocation of the existing ticket office and first-class lounge to create additional high value retail areas.
- Improved visibility of the ticket office, creating an improved ticket retail environment and lounge.
- Improved station entrance and connectivity with Union Square and the wider Aberdeen city centre.
- Redevelopment of staff accommodation and additional operational staff areas to allow for future growth.
- Works to enhance the listed station building in partnership with the Railway Heritage Trust.
The redevelopment of the station will benefit customers in the North East as more services, more seats, and faster journeys are gradually delivered.
Contractors will begin work on the site when it is safe to do so, following the current Coronavirus pandemic.
The project will be completed in stages, with work on the station redevelopment expected to take around one year to complete.
Work to replace the glass roof at Aberdeen station was completed by Network Rail Scotland last year.